So, it's been a month since my last update, and there's very little to report given how busy life has seemed to be in the interim. On the fuel side of things, after trimming the fuel level sensor and test-fitting the whole assembly in the tank, it didn't fit. I was about half a centimetre too far to the outside on the fuel level sensor position, and as a result that lid was rendered pretty much useless. So, I ordered up an aluminum replacement; the price wasn't much more than the steel plate I had before, and it's quite a bit lighter (and should be easier to cut, since I still need to get the same holes drilled in this one too). And this time, I'll be a little more careful with my cutting; lesson learned.
The front RMDSM sway bar is temporarily on the car for fitment, and it looks pretty good so far. The original bar didn't come off without a cutting wheel to the end links, so rather than paying the cost for OEM replacements, I made my own adjustable end links from a pair of rod ends and an aluminum threaded tube from McMaster-Carr. Looks spiffy, and with the spherical bearing boots that I ordered as well, they should remain in decent shape for their life on the car. I'll be doing something similar in the rear, since it looks like those end links won't be coming off without a fight either.
Other weird news: a friend of mine is negotiating with Rimstock to see if he can import a few sets of their Pro Race 1.2 wheels for him, me, and a couple of other folks on DSMtuners. They're exceptionally nice wheels, and not because they look spiffy (I'm still rather so-so on the looks, actually). First, they're fairly light, coming in at around 9kg (which is a little beefier than some on the market but on par). Second, they have an enormous amount of rear clearance; clearing pretty much any brake package won't be a problem for these wheels (which is good, because Mitch is now talking about putting together a Wilwood-based brake setup, which he'll probably convince me to get in on). Third, and rather importantly for the guy who gets accused of pouring unlimited funds into a project that still doesn't run: they'll probably come in at under $200 a wheel, which is actually cheaper than the wheels I was originally considering, which won't have nearly the same inside clearance that the Team Dynamics wheels have. Tack on another $120/tire for the Kumho Ecsta MX tires that I want (which weigh in at an additional 24.6lbs each, ouch), and I might be able to pull off wheels and tires for around the $1200 I'd budgeted for this.
I still need to get all the metal for the fuel cell cage cut and welded, and there's a bit more interior left remove as well (specifically, all the sound deadening material, and the ECU so I don't fry it when I'm in there welding). As much as I'd love to do a cage this season, I just don't see it happening.